WHY IS DISPOSAL OF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION IMPORTANT?
“Family and friends are the leading source of prescription drugs”
“43% of kids say prescription drugs are easier to get than illegal drugs”
“Prescription drug overdoses” are the leading cause of accidental overdose deaths”
3 METHODS OF DISPOSAL
OPTION 1: DRUG DROP BOX (BEST)
The best method to dispose of prescription medications is at a “DRUG DROP BOX.” These boxes are located at secure locations, are operated by local law enforcement and ensure the drugs are disposed of according to legal standards. To find a DRUG DROP BOX near you, click on the link below and enter your zip code:
DRUG DROP OFF LOCATION LOCATER
OPTION 2: HOME DISPOSAL
You may dispose of medications at home, but it is very important to follow specific steps which ensure safety and virtually eliminate diversion from the trash. Remember, addicts that know you have medications may go through your trash.
- – Place medications in a disposable container such as a zip lock bag.
- – Crush medications if possible.
- – Add coffee grounds, kitty litter or saw dust to the bag.
- – Add a little bit of water to make a paste.
- – Place sealed bag or container in the trash.
- – Be sure to remove your personal information from all pill bottles before disposal.
REMEMBER – NEVER flush your medications down the toilet, down the drain or in the garbage disposal.
OPTION 3: DRUG STORE DISPOSAL
While your local drug store is not able to take back unused medications, they do sell envelopes in which prescription medications may be returned and disposed of. There is a cost to this process, but if neither of the above options is feasible, this would be the preferred method.